Thursday, October 14, 2010

Split Pea Soup

This was from a co-worker who got it from my chiropractor in NYC.
I use a really big pot and double the recipe for this one. I love having the leftovers in the fridge/freezer.
I find that I like a little more pepper than it asks for.
I cook it down so the only thing that is left chunky, is some of the thicker slices of potato and carrots.

Split Pea Soup

3 cups dry split peas
7 cups water
1 bay leaf
2 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard

2 cups diced onion
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 stalks of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 potato, thinly sliced
ground pepper to taste
4 tbsp red wine vinegar to taste

place split peas, water, bay leaf, salt and dry mustard in kettle. Bring to boil, lower heat, simmer, partly covered, 20 minutes
Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots and potato, simmer partly covered 40 minutes. stir occasionally.
add black pepper and vinegar to taste
serves 6
per serving: calories 370, total fat 3g, saturated fat 0g, fiber 23g, sodium 420 mg, cholesterol 0 mg, carbohydrate 67g

No comments:

Post a Comment