Thursday, October 14, 2010

Black Bean / Sweet Potato Skillet

This is one we just started making recently. We found it here. I'm finding that it tastes better the next day. The cinnamon seems to be more pronounced. I also don't think the couscous is necessary.

Black Bean / Sweet Potato Skillet

1 Medium Onion Chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cans (15oz) Black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes Peeled and finely chopped (I try to have a bit more than a 2/1 ratio to the onion) (yes this used to read 3/1 but once I weighed it it was 2.25 x1)
1 can (14.5 oz) Vegetable Broth
1 tsp minced chipolte pepper (I used the Tobasco Brand Chipolte Pepper sauce)
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp ground cinnamon (I doubled this the 2nd time I made it)
1 ¼ cup uncooked couscous

1) In a skillet large enough to hold all of the above ingredients. Saute the onion in the oil until tender.
2) Then add the Beans, Potatoes, Broth, Chipolte Pepper, and Cinnamon.
3) Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
4) Uncover and simmer (stirring occasionally) 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are very tender and the mixture has thickened.
5) Prepare Couscous as per package instructions. Serve with the Mixture.
Yield: 5 Servings
1 Cup mixture + ½ cup Couscous is roughly
294 Calories, 3g Fat, 727mg sodium, 54g carb, 10g fiber, 12g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment