Sunday, October 30, 2011

Black Bean / Sweet Potato Skillet OXO'ed

This is my Fall/Winter Favorite. We found it here. I'm finding that it tastes better the next day. The cinnamon seems to be more pronounced. Can be served with Couscous, it won't be included in this recipe or nutritional info.

I've also changed this a bit from the original. I can make 1.5x the amount easily in the skillet we have. Those are the weights I've used here.

Black Bean / Sweet Potato Skillet

15 oz Onion Chopped
1.5 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 15oz Cans Black Beans (26oz rinsed weight) rinsed and drained
30 oz Sweet Potatoes Peeled and finely chopped
2.5 cups Vegetable Broth
1 tsp minced chipolte pepper (I used the Tobasco Brand Chipolte Pepper sauce)
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1) IIn a skillet large enough to hold all of the above ingredients. Saute the onion in the oil until tender.
2) Then add the Beans, Potatoes, Broth, Chipolte Pepper, and Cinnamon.
3) Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
4) Uncover and simmer (stirring occasionally) 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are very tender and the mixture has thickened.

Yield 8 cups

I find this stuff tastes better the next day. So much so that I almost think if I make this for someone for the first time, I'd not let them try it until the next day.
Also I keep the chipoltle sauce available when I eat it. Some times I find I want to add a bit more.

Click image to make larger

No comments:

Post a Comment